Health Informatics comes under the field of a very popular degree program that is known as Healthcare Management.
In brief, Health Informatics which is also known as the Health Information System uses the ideas of IT industries to manage and monitor the health records of different patients to improve healthcare outcomes. It deals with different methods for the use of information in health and medicine fields. Through Healthcare Informatics the users can get easily electronic access to all the medical records. It is true that the demand for Health Informatics is increasing rapidly and therefore, most institutions are providing certifications and programs in this field.
Career Options In Health Informatics
Like other degrees, Health Informatics also demands at least a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree for the business-oriented profession in the medical healthcare industry. The people with the knowledge of some medical coding or billing or operational aspects of a medical database will be given more priority. The various options for education in Health Informatics are:
- Bachelor of Science in Health Informatics
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science Business—Information Technology Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Information Systems
- Master of Health Informatics
- Master of Nursing Informatics
- Health Informatics Specialities
However, health informatics is a very wide term and there are several areas of application. Therefore, this term is divided into five categories by the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA):
- Translational Bioinformatics: This is a special body that focuses on different researches in the field of biological data such as human genomes.
- Clinical Research Informatics: These are also the research-based bodies that may or may not focus on biological nature.
- Clinical Informatics: Clinical Informatics is the subset of Health Informatics whose work is to deal with the patient’s data.
- Public Health Informatics: The objective of Public Health Informatics is to visualize all the data and trends in the health sector.
- Consumer Health Informatics: The focus of Consumer Health Informatics is to see all the things related to consumer health data.
There are even more specialized areas where Health Informatics professional can work:
- Dental informatics
- Mental health informatics
- Nutritional informatics
- Pharmacy informatics
- Telemedicine and mobile computing informatics
- Veterinary informatics